When two people you know have just announced their engagement, sending them an engagement card with a personalized message of congratulations lets them know straightaway how excited and happy you are to hear their news.
The message you write will depend on the type of relationship you have with the couple. But by keeping things simple, genuine and writing from the heart, you can send a card that’ll be deeply appreciated by the couple, and remembered throughout their lives.
To help you write a message that is really memorable but heartwarming and sincere, check out our guide. We’ll give you some general guidance, along with creative messages to include in the engagement card, so you can congratulate the happy couple properly and wish them the best for the future.
Why do we send engagement cards?
When a couple decides to get engaged, it’s a major milestone in both their lives, and one of the happiest and most exciting. An engagement card from you acknowledges that this is one of the most important steps they will ever take, and a personalized message shows them just how much you care. And If you’re especially close to one or both of them, why not add a gift to congratulate them too?
Whether one member of the engaged couple is a part of your family, a friend or a colleague, you can show them how thrilled you are at the news by sending the perfect engagement card –. And writing the perfect message inside too.
It goes without saying – an engagement is probably the most romantic time in a person’s life, apart from the actual wedding. There’s so much to look forward to on a journey they’re taking with the person they love the most.
Sending a message that reminds them of all the love they’re surrounded by is the perfect way to show just how happy you are that they’ve found the person they want to spend the rest of their lives with. So show the love in your message!
- “Congratulations! May your engagement be the first step on a lifetime journey of love.”
- “Happy engagement to you both! May the love you feel for each other today grow and deepen with each passing year.”
- “I can’t think of a happier and more joyous way to celebrate your love than wishing you congratulations on your engagement. May your love grow and strengthen with each day that passes.,”
- Congratulations to you both! May your engagement mark the start of a wonderful love story that continues all your lives.”
From the heart
Whether you introduced the couple to each other, you were there when they first met, or you have seen them falling in love as the relationship grows and strengthens, your message can recall the journey and include some of the memories they have already made with each other. Express how much it means to other people that they’re now engaged and ready to take the next step – marriage.
- “Many congratulations on your engagement. We could not be happier for such a wonderful couple.”
- “You’re engaged! Congratulations! Anyone could see that you were meant for each other from the moment you met. Much love and best wishes for a fantastic future.”
- “Congratulations! I can’t wait to see you walk down the aisle and start the next fabulous chapter of your life.”
- “Our warmest congratulations on your wonderful news. Very best wishes for a beautiful future to you both.”
If a family member is getting engaged
Getting engaged means a new face has been added to your family. Whether you’re a sibling, parent, grandparent, auntie, uncle, cousin or a little more distant, let your genuine joy at their news shine through in your message. If you’ve been close all your lives, you could recall some childhood memories, and maybe inject a little humor by looking back at stand-out moments over the years. The main thing is to show them how much it means that you can now call their fiancé a member of the family.
- “Congratulations! I am so happy to finally have the big sister/brother I’ve always wanted.”
- “We have watched you grow up over the years and are so excited and happy to see you beginning this new journey with your wonderful fiancé. Congratulations to you both!”
- “Congratulations to our beautiful daughter and son-in-law to be. We’re so happy that you’ve both found that perfect someone to share a wonderful future with.”
- “Congratulations on your engagement cousin, welcome to our family [name], we’re happy to have you!”
If a friend is getting engaged
Your message as a friend will depend on how close you are – obviously the more intimate the friendship, the more personal you will want your words to be. Tell them how excited you are for them, and if you have a close relationship going back over some time, you could recall some memories. For example, the first day at school when you became friends or that weekend in Las Vegas with the girls. Make sure you add how much you’re looking forward to making more memories with both of them in the future.
- “Congratulations to my best friend on his/her engagement. I can’t wait to celebrate this fantastic occasion with you both!”
- “I hope you bring each other the happiness and love that our friendship has brought me over the years – congratulations to you both.”
- “Congratulations to my dearest friends. I couldn’t be happier for you and wish you all the luck in the world as you begin this new and exciting chapter in your lives.”
- “Congratulations to my very best friend, who has been so lucky to have found her perfect soulmate. My love and best wishes for a long and happy life.”
Perhaps add some humor
It’s a great idea to inject some humor into your engagement card, especially if you’re not a particularly romantic or emotional type. Just try not to be too clichéd or tasteless! Sometimes the funniest messages that people write are read out by the best man during the speeches at the wedding reception, so make yours a memorable one for the right reasons.
- “Congratulations to one of my favorite couples and thank you for inviting me to the only wedding I’ve ever wanted to go to.”
- “Congratulations on your engagement – you two weirdos are so right for each other!”
- “Best wishes to the engaged couple. How lucky you are to have found the perfect person to annoy for the rest of your life!”
- “Congratulations on your engagement – what great news. And now there’ll be one less crazy cat lady in the world.”
A quote for every occasion
You may want your message to inspire hope and happiness for the future, and you could also include a touching quote inside the card. This could be something religious or more down to earth – whatever reflects your own personality and your sincere wishes for the engaged couple. Personalizing your engagement card shows the couple that you really care, and wish them all the happiness and lifelong love they deserve.
- “My sincerest congratulations to you both. I wish you the best of luck as you embark on this incredible journey. May your life together be filled with joy and love.”
- “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” – Maya Angelou
- “When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with a person, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” – When Harry Met Sally
- “There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage.” – Martin Luther
An engagement is one of the happiest moments in our lives, full of love, promise and hope for the future. It’s the first happy celebration before the main event – the wedding – and an exciting time for the couple, their family and friends as they plan for their future.
Celebrate the engagement and wish the couple every happiness and love for the future by sending a personalized engagement card together with a perfectly written and memorable message. And why not add a special gift to your card to show them just how much you mean to them?